Daal is a very popular form of curry in Northern India, made from pulses. Kaali Daal is made from Black Lentil. The Kali Dal is usually served with Rice, however, if you prefer Naan or bread you can serve the Kali Dal with them. If you want to try something than regular Dal this is a perfect recipe for you.
Today in this blog post I will teach you how to prepare Kali Daal at home. Follow along to prepare this recipe.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serving: 3-4 persons
- Black Lentil/Whole Urad Dal - 1 1/2 cup soaked overnight
- Onions - 3/4 cup fine chopped
- Tomato - 3/4 cup fine chopped
- Green Chili - 1 1/2 tablespoon fine chopped
- Ginger - 1 tablespoon fine chopped
- Dried Fenugreek Leaf/Kasoori Methi - 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam Masala - 1 tablespoon
- Cumin Powder - 1 tablespoon
- Salt - according to taste
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tablespoon
- Black Pepper Corns - 7-8
- Cinnamon Stick - 1 inch
- Star Anise - 1
- Cloves - 5-6
- Black Cardamom - 1
- Oil - 3-4 tablespoons
- Water - 2 1/2 cup
1. Here are all the ingredients. Here I have already soaked black lentil/whole urad dal overnight.
2. Take the soaked black lentil/whole urad dal in a pressure cooker, add 2 1/2 tablespoon of water in a pressure cooker. Add cinnamon stick, cloves, star anise and black cardamom in the black lentil/whole urad dal.
3. Add 1/2 tablespoon of salt and mix well. Cover the cooker and pressure cook the dal/lentil for 4-5 whistles or till dal/lentils get soft.
4. Once cooked perfectly, take out the cooked dal/lentil in a bowl and keep it aside.
5. Heat 3-4 tablespoons of oil in pan/wok on medium heat, add black peppercorn and cumin seeds and let them splutter.
6. Add finely chopped ginger and saute it for 30 seconds.
7. Add finely chopped onion and green chilli. Saute them for 2-3 minutes or till onion turns translucent. Keep the flame on medium heat.
8. Add turmeric powder and garam masala, mix well and saute for 30 seconds.
9. Add finely chopped tomato and mix well.
10. Add salt and cumin powder and mix well. Cook the mixture till it separates oil from the sides.
11. Add dried fenugreek leaf/kasoori methi and mix well.
12. Add boiled dal/lentil and mix well. Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes on low flame.
13. Serve hot and enjoy with your favourite rice or bread.
Please try this easy and simple recipe and let me know in the comment section how it comes for you. If you like the recipe please like, share and subscribe to this blog. If you have any question or any doubt you can leave a message in contact me section at the bottom.
Post a Comment