Vada paav is a very famous vegetarian fast food dish native to the state Maharashtra(India). The dish contains a fried potato dumpling inside a bread bun(paav) along with a special dry garlic chatni that makes it extra spicy.
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
- Potato - 3-4 boiled
- Homemade Paav - 4
- Ginger Garlic Chili Paste - 1 tablespoon
- Gram Flour/ Besan - 1 cup
- Coriander Leaf - 1/4 cup chopped
- Black Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Dry Garlic Chatni - 2 tablespoon
- Salt - According to taste
- Turmeric Powder - 1 teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder - 1/2 tablespoon
- Chat Masala - 1/2 tablespoon
- Coriander Cumin Powder - 1/2 tablespoon
- Oil - 1 1/2 tablespoon + for frying
- Water - 1/4 cup
1. Here are all the ingredients. I have already boiled and peeled the potatoes.
2. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoon of oil, add black mustard seeds and ginger garlic chili paste. Saute the mixture for 1 minute on medium flame.
3. Add the powdered spices, mix and saute for 1 minute.
4. Slightly crush the boiled potatoes and add crushed potatoes in the mixture. Mix well with the spices.
5. Add chopped coriander leaf and mix well with the mixture.
6. Take out the mixture in a plate and let it cool down completely.
7. Take gram flour / besan in a bowl, add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric and salt and mix well.
8. Add water and make a lump free, thick and smooth batter. Add little water at a time.
9. The batter is ready. Do not make very runny batter.
10. Make small balls out of the potato mixture.
11. Dip the ball in the gram flour / besan batter and coat the ball from all the sides.
12. Heat oil in a pan / wok for frying on medium flame. Fry the coated potato balls from all the sides till golden brown.
13. Drain out the balls in a kitchen towel.
14. Take homemade paav (click here for recipe) and cut slightly from the middle.
15. Sprinkle dry garlic chatni (click here for recipe)on both sides of paav.
16. Gently crush the potato balls and put on the paav and cover from other side.
17. Serve hot with some fried chili and enjoy.
Please try this easy and simple recipe and let me know in the comment section how it comes for you. If you like the recipe please like, share and subscribe this blog. If you have any question or any doubt you can leave a message in contact me section at the bottom.
Ingredient Reference :
1. Turmeric Powder
2. Gram Flour / Besan
3. Black Mustard Seeds
4. Chat Masala