Chicken Dum Biryani
Chicken Dum Biryani is popular dish in restaurant these days. The dish consists of primarily rice along with flavors made from various spices and vegetables or meat. Today I will cover how to cook chicken biryani at home using simple and easily available ingredients.
Preparation Time : 20 minutes
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
Dum Time : 20 minutes
Serving : 2-3 persons
- Chicken - 200 grams
- Onion - 3-4 sliced
- Green Chili - 3-4 slit
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tablespoon
- Curd - 3 tablespoon
- Cashews - 10-12 roasted
- Coriander Leaves - 2 tablespoon
- Mint Leaves - 2 tablespoon
- Bay Leaf - 2
- Cumin Seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Cloves - 5-6
- Black Peppercorn - 5-6
- Whole Dry Red Chili - 2
- Salt - according to taste
- Turmeric Powder - 1 teaspoon
- Garam Masala - 1 tablespoon
- Coriander Cumin Powder - 1 tablespoon
- Biryani Powder - 1 1/2 tablespoon
- Cardamom Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Oil - 2 + 3 tablespoon
For Rice :
- Rice - 1 1/2 cup
- Cinnamon Stick - 2 inch
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Cloves - 5-6
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tablespoon
- Salt - 1 1/2 tablespoon
- Lemon Juice - 2 tablespoon
- Water - 3-4 cup
( I have given the link of ingredients at the end of the recipe where you can buy them easily)
1. Here are all the ingredients for rice.
2. Heat 3-4 cup water in a pan, add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves, cumin seeds and salt. Let the water start boiling.
3. Once water starts boiling, add washed rice, 2 tablespoon of lemon juice and cook the rice till the rice cooked 80%. Do not cook the rice perfectly.
4. The rice is cooked up to 80%. Do not overcook the rice.
5. Drain the rice and keep it side.
6. Here are all the ingredients for the curry. Here I am using cardamom powder, preferably use whole cardamom.
7. Heat 2 tablespoon of oil in a pan, add 1/3 of the sliced onion and fry till golden brown.
8. The onion is ready, take out the fried onion in a kitchen towel and keep it side.
9. Heat 3 tablespoon of oil (here I am using the same pan) on medium flame, add all the whole spices and let them splutter.
10. Add onion, green chili and saute till onion turns little translucent.
11. Add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell disappears.
12. Add chicken and mix well. Cover and cook the chicken for 10 minutes on medium flame. Stir occasionally.
13. Add the spices along with salt and mix well. Cook the chicken in spices till it starts separating oil.
14. Add curd in the chicken, cover and cook for 5 minutes on medium flame,
15. Add half of the fried onion on the chicken. Do not mix the onion in the chicken.
16. Add rice in the chicken and level up. Do not mix the rice in the chicken. Add rest of the fried onion and roasted cashews.
17. Add fine chopped mint and coriander leaves.
18. Here I took 1 tablespoon of water and a pinch of red food color. You can take 1 tablespoon of milk and 2 strands of saffron. This steps is totally optional.
19. Add the water/ milk on the rice. Cover the pan with a tight lid / plate. (Seal the lid / plate tightly, use dough for the better results so the steam doesn't comes out). Heat a griddle/ tawa on medium flame and put the pan on hot tawa / griddle. Dum (steam) the biryani for 20 minutes on low heat.
16. Mix the rice gently, serve the biryani hot and enjoy with some salad, raita or your favorite curry.
Please try this easy and simple recipe and let me know in the comment section how it comes for you. If you like the recipe please like, share and subscribe this blog. If you have any question or any doubt you can leave a message in contact me section at the bottom.
Ingredient Reference :
1. Cumin Seeds
3. Turmeric Powder
4. Cumin Coriander Powder
5. Garam Masala
6. Red Chili Powder
7. Biryani Masala
8. Garam Masala
9. Cinnamon Stick
10. Whole Dry Red Chili