Veg Dum Biryani
Veg Dum Biryani is popular dish in restaurant these days. The dish consists of primarily rice along with flavors made from various spices and vegetables or meat. Today I will cover how to cook vegetable biryani at home using simple and easily available ingredients.
Preparation Time : 20 minutes
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
Dum Time : 20 minutes
For Rice :
- Rice - 1 1/2 cup
- Cinnamon Stick - 2 inch
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Cloves - 5-6
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tablespoon
- Salt - 1 1/2 tablespoon
- Lemon Juice - 2 tablespoon
- Water - 3-4 cup
For Curry :
- Onion - 2-3 sliced
- Green Chili - 2-3 slit
- Ginger garlic Paste - 2 tablespoon
- Carrot - 1/2 cup
- French Beans - 2/3 cup
- Cauliflower - 2/3 cup
- Green Peas - 1/4 cup
- Sweet Corn - 1/4 cup
- Paneer / Cottage Cheese - 1/4 cup
- Curd - 1/4 cup
- Cumin Seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Whole Dry Red Chili - 2
- Salt - according to taste
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tablespoon
- Coriander Cumin Powder - 1/2 tablespoon
- Garam Masala - 1 tablespoon
- Biryani Powder - 1 tablespoon
- Oil - 3 tablespoon
( I have given the link of ingredients at the end of the recipe where you can buy them easily)
1. Here are all the ingredients for rice.
2. Heat 3-4 cup water in a pan, add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves, cumin seeds and salt. Let the water start boiling.
3. Once water starts boiling, add washed rice, 2 tablespoon of lemon juice and cook the rice till the rice cooked 80%. Do not cook the rice perfectly.
4. The rice is cooked upto 80%. Do not overcook the rice.
5. Drain the rice and keep it side.
6. Here are all the ingredients for the curry. You can add your favorite or seasonal vegetables.
8. Add sliced onion and green chili, saute them for 2-3 minutes or till onions starts to turn translucent.
9. Add ginger garlic paste (click here for recipe), saute the paste with the onion for 2 minutes or till the raw smell of ginger and garlic disappear.
10. Add all the vegetables (except paneer / cottage cheese), mix well and saute for 2-3 minutes.
11. Add all the spices, mix well and cook the vegetables for 6-7 minutes or till half cooked. Keep the flame on medium.
12. Put the flame on low and add curd. Mix well in the mixture. Cover and cook the mixture for 6-7 minutes.
13. Add paneer / cottage cheese and mix in the mixture gently. You can slightly fry the paneer before adding in the mixture.
14. Add the cooked rice in the mixture. Do not mix the rice in the mixture.
15. Level up the rice, here I have added 1 tablespoon of red color. Adding color is totally optional. Cover the pan with a tight lid / plate. (Seal the lid / plate tightly, use dough for the better results so the steam doesn't comes out). Heat a griddle/ tawa on medium flame and put the pan on hot tawa / griddle. Dum (steam) the biryani for 20 minutes on low heat.
16. Serve hot and enjoy with some salad, raita or your favorite curry.
Please try this easy and simple recipe and let me know in the comment section how it comes for you. If you like the recipe please like, share and subscribe this blog. If you have any question or any doubt you can leave a message in contact me section at the bottom.
Ingredient Reference :
1. Cumin Seeds
3. Turmeric Powder
4. Cumin Coriander Powder
5. Garam Masala
6. Red Chili Powder
7. Biryani Masala
8. Garam Masala
9. Cinnamon Stick
10. Whole Dry Red Chili