Bedmi Puri is a very famous breakfast item in western Uttar Padesh or in North India. This is served with Aloo Curry (click here for recipe). In this blog post I will share how to prepare Bedmi Puri at home in simple steps using commonly available ingredients.
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 3-4 minutes
Servings : 2-3 persons
- Wheat Flour - 1 1/2 cup
- Split Balck Gram / Urad Daal - 3/4 cups soaked
- Fennel Seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida - 1/4 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder - 1/2 tablespoon
- Dried Fenugreek Leaf / Kasoori Methi - 1 tablepsoon
- Cumin Powder - 1/2 tablepsoon
- Salt - according to taste
- Water - for kneading
- Oil - for frying
( I have given the link of ingredients at the end of the recipe where you can buy them easily)
1. Here are all the ingredients. Here I have already soaked the split black gram / urad daal for 3-4 hours.
2. Take soaked split black gram / urad daal in a grinder and grind it coarsely. Add 2 tablespoon of water if needed.
3. The split black gram / urad daal is ready. Do not make very fine paste. Take out it in a bowl and keep it side.
4. Take fennel seeds in a mortar, crush it to make coarse powder.
5. Once done, take out in a bowl and keep it side.
6. Take wheat flour in a mixing bowl, add all the seasonings along with crushed fennel seeds and mix well.
7. Once mixed, add coarsely ground split gram / urad daal in the mixture and mix well.
8. Add little bit of water and knead smooth and soft dough.
9. The dough is ready.
10. Take small ball size dough and flatten it. Apply little bit of oil on it.
11. Roll the dough in small circular puri shape.
12. Put the rolled puri in hot oil and let it puffed up.
13. Once puffed up, turn the puri and cook from other side.
14. Serve the bedmi puri with aloo curry (click here for recipe) and enjoy.
Please try this easy and simple recipe and let me know in the comment section how it comes for you. If you like the recipe please like, share and subscribe this blog. If you have any question or any doubt you can leave a message in contact me section at the bottom.
Ingredient Reference :
1. Asafoetida / Hing
2. Turmeric Powder
3. Fennel Seeds