Murukku is a savory and crunchy snack popular in Southern part of India. It is similar to cracker made with rice, split green gram and sesame seeds. You can have it with tea or coffee. Today I am making this recipe in simple steps at home.
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Soaking Time : 2-3 hours
Resting Time : 10 minutes
- Rice Flour - 1 cup
- Moong Dal / Split Green Gram - 2 1/2 tablespoon soaked
- Sesame Seeds - 1 tablespoon
- Cumin Seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Salt - 1 teaspoon
- Red Chili Flakes - 1 teaspoon
- Butter - 1 tablespoon
- Asafoetida / Hing - 1/2 teaspoon
- Water - 2 cups
- Oil - for frying
1. Here are all the ingredients. Here I have already soaked the Moong Dal/ Split Green Gram for 2-3 hours.
2. Heat 2 cups of water in a pan / wok at medium heat and add the butter.
3. Add soaked Moong Dal / Split Green Gram and sesame seeds and boil for 2 minutes.
4. Add salt, chili flakes, cumin seeds and asafoetida / hing and mix well. Boil for 2 minutes.
5. Add rice flour and mix well with the mixture. Stir continuously till rice flour soak all the water.
6. The mixture is ready.
7. Take out the mixture and let it cool down little bit. Once mixture cools down little bit, knead it to a soft and smooth dough.
8. The dough is ready. Cover and let it rest for 10 minutes.
9. Take ball size dough and apply little bit of oil on it. Here I am using parchment paper for rolling the ball.
10. Roll the ball in a sheet. Do not make the sheet very thin.
11. Cut the uneven sides of the sheet for even shape of diamonds. This step is optional.
12. Cut the sheet in small diamonds and separate them gently.
13. Heat oil on medium heat for frying and add the diamonds in the medium hot oil. Fry them evenly till they turns golden brown. Once done, take them out in a kitchen towel.
14. Enjoy the diamond murukku as a snack with tea / coffee. Keep it in a air tight container and store it for 1 month.
Please try this easy and simple recipe and let me know in the comment section how it comes for you. If you like the recipe please like, share and subscribe this blog. If you have any question or any doubt you can leave a message in contact me section at the bottom.