Thekua is a cookie famous in Eastern part of India. Thekua is made with wheat flour and Semolina dough along with cashews and other dry fruits.It is crunchy outside but soft from inside. Kids like it because of its sweetness. It is very commonly prepared during festival of Chaat in Eastern India.Today I am preparing this recipe at home in simple steps.
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Frying Time : 4-5 minutes
- Wheat Flour - 2 cups
- Semolina / Rava / Sooji - 3/4 cup (raw)
- Sugar - 3/4 cup
- Ghee / Clarified Butter - 2 tablespoon
- Cardamom Powder - 1 teaspoon
- Fennel Seeds - 1 1/2 tablespoon
- Cashew - 1 1/2 tablespoon fine chopped
- Dry Coconut - 1 1/2 tablespoon fine chopped
- Almonds - 1 1/2 tablespoon fine chopped
- Water - 3/4 cup
- Oil - for frying
1. Here are all the ingredients. You can add more dry fruits you like.
2. Heat water in a pan / wok, add sugar and mix well in the water. Do not let it boil. We have to dissolve the sugar in the water.
3. The sugar syrup is ready and is clear. You can strain the syrup if you want to. Keep it side and let it cool down.
4. Take wheat flour, semolina / rava / sooji, fennel seeds and cardamom powder in a mixing bowl and mix well.
5. Add clarified butter / ghee and mix well in the flour till it turns crumbly and starts to combine.
6. The flour is ready and holds the shape.
7. Add chopped dry fruits and mix well.
8. Add the made syrup in the flour mixture. Combine and knead to form dough.
9. The dough is ready. Make the dough stiff and smooth.
10. Take small portion from the dough and smooth it. Press and make it little flat.
11. Here I am making design. I am using wooden skewer for the design. You can totally skip this step.
12. The Thekua is ready. Here I made check design. You can make your favorite design.
13. Make all the Thekua with the same process.
14. Heat oil for frying on low-medium flames. Fry the Thekua on medium hot oil and fry them till golden from all the sides.
15. The Thekua is fried and turns golden from all the sides. Take out the Thekua on a kitchen towel.
16. keep the Thekua in air tight container and enjoy.
Please try this easy and simple recipe and let me know in the comment section how it comes for you. If you like the recipe please like, share and subscribe this blog. If you have any question or any doubt you can leave a message in contact me section at the bottom.