Malabar Paratha is a special type of bread prepared with wheat flour or all purpose flour. Its is very flaky and popular to find them served as breakfast/lunch/dinner menu option. It is served with fresh chutney or curry in southern part of India. Today I will be covering how to prepare Malabar paratha at home in simple steps.
Preparation Time : 5 minutes
Resting Time : 15 minutes
Shaping Time : 10 minutes
- All Purpose Flour - 1 cup
- Carom Seeds - 1/2 tablespoon
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Water - for kneading
- Oil - 1 tablespoon + for roasting
1. Here are all the ingredients.
2. Take the flour in a mixing bowl, add carom seeds and salt, mix well. Add little water at a time and knead to form dough.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and knead to a smooth and soft dough.
4. The dough is ready. Cover the dough and let it rest for 15 minutes.
5. Divide the dough in equal medium sized balls.
6. Take one ball and smooth it and apply little bit of oil on the ball.
7. Roll the ball in a very thin sheet.
8. Cut the sheet in thin strips to make layers in the paratha.
9. Bring all the strips together and stretch them little bit. Now roll the strips from both the sides to form a ball.
10. The ball is ready. Make all the balls with the same process.
11. All the balls are ready now.
12. Take one ball and roll to a medium size paratha. Do not roll it very thin.
13. Heat a griddle / tawa and put the paratha on the heated tawa / griddle.
14. Cook the paratha from one side, flip and apply little bit of oil. Roast the paratha from both the sides till brown.
15. The Malabar Paratha is cooked perfectly and ready. Take out in a plate.
NOTE: To open the layers in the paratha, put the cooked paratha on your palm and crush it slightly towards the middle.
16. Serve hot and enjoy the malabar paratha with your favorite curry.
Please try this easy and simple recipe and let me know in the comment section how it comes for you. If you like the recipe please like, share and subscribe this blog. If you have any question or any doubt you can leave a message in contact me section at the bottom.