Kadhi is a dish originating from the Indian Cuisine. It consists of a thick gravy based on gram flour and curd. It also contains vegetable/ lentil fritters called pakoras/fritters. It is often eaten with boiled rice or roti.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Simmering Time: 30 minutes
Frying Time: 10 minutes
Serving: 3-4 persons
- Urad Daal/ Split Black Grams - 1 1/2 cup
- Curd - 2 tablespoon
- Lemon Juice - 1-2 tablespoon
- Gram Flour/ Besan - 3 tablespoon
- Water - 1 liter
- Garlic - 5-6
- Onions - 3-4 tablespoon
- Black Peppers - 1 teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tablespoon
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Dry Red Chili - 2
- Asafoetida Powder/ Hing - 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt - According to taste
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tablespoon
- Red Chili Powder - 1/2 tablespoon
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tablespoon
- Fenugreek Seeds / Methi - 1/2 tablespoon
- Cumin/ Coriander Powder - 1 tablespoon
- Oil - 1 tablespoon + for frying
( I have given the link of ingredients at the end of the recipe where you can buy them easily)
Here are all ingredients.
(For the fritters):
1. Soak split black grams for 3-4 hours.
2. Take the soaked grams in a grinder, add little bit of salt for the taste and 1/2 teaspoon of asafoetida powder/ hing and grind it smooth. Add 2 tablespoon of water if required.
3. Take out the thick paste of gram in a big bowl and add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder of the color and whisk it well with the help of a hand / electric whisker. Whisk the mix till its gets fluffy and airy.
4. To check the fluffiness of the mix, take a bowl full of water and drip small drop of the mix. If the drip settles down at the bottom, it means you still need to whisk for further few minutes.
5. After whisking a lot, I drip a little bit of mix and it instantly starts to flow on the water, that means its ready . If you don't have so much time to whisk, you can add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and mix well with the batter, it will give the same result instantly.
6. The batter is fluffy and airy .
7. Heat oil in a pan on medium heat for frying, drip small balls in the hot oil and fry from all the sides till golden brown.
8. Drain the golden fritters on a kitchen towel.
9. Take 1 1/2 glass of water in a bowl and dip the gram fritters in the water for 2-3 minutes and drain again in a kitchen towel. Keep them aside.
(For silky gravy):
1. Take a grinder, add chopped onions, 5-6 garlic, 1 teaspoon black peppers, 1 bay leaf, 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, 2 dry whole chili and grind them in a fine paste with the help of 3-4 tablespoon of water.
2. The paste is ready.
3. Take 3 tablespoon of gram flour in a big bowl, add 2 tablespoon of sour curd (if you are using fresh curd, use 1-2 tablespoon of lemon juice for the sour taste) and mix all of them .
4. Add red chili powder and 1/2 cup of water , make a lump free batter of the mix.
5. Once a lump free batter is ready, add 1 liter of water and mix the well.
6. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds and let them splutter.
7. Add the grinded paste in the spluttered tempering and cook for 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
8. Add salt, coriander cumin powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder and cook the spices for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
9. Put the flame on low flame, add the gram flour batter in the mix and stir continuously till it starts boiling (to avoid curdling of curd). Once it starts boiling, cover with the lid and simmer it for 25-30 minutes on low flame. Stir occasionally.
10. After simmering for 30 minutes, its texture turns very silky and turns to thick gravy.
11. Add the fritters in the silky gravy, cover and simmer for 5 minutes so the fritters soak the gravy.
12. Serve hot. Team it up with some Jeera Rice (click here for recipe).
Please try this easy and simple recipe and let me know in the comment section how it comes for you. If you like the recipe please like, share and subscribe this blog. If you have any question or any doubt you can leave a message in contact me section at the bottom.
Ingredients Reference :
1. Gram Flour/ Besan
2. Cumin Seeds
3. Asafoetida Powder/ Hing
4. Turmeric powder
5. Mustard Seeds
6. Fenugreek Seeds/ Methi
7. Cumin Coriander Powder